BREAKING: Bulgarian government resigns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

BREAKING: Bulgarian government resigns  Empty
PostSubject: BREAKING: Bulgarian government resigns    BREAKING: Bulgarian government resigns  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 9:29 am

SOFIA (Reuters) - Bulgaria's government resigned on Wednesday after violent nationwide protests against high power prices, joining a long list of European administrations felled by austerity during Europe's debt crisis.

Prime Minister Boiko Borisov, a former bodyguard who swept to power in 2009 on pledges to root out corruption and raise living standards in the European Union's poorest member, now faces a tough task to prop up eroding support ahead of a probable early election.

Wage and pension freezes and tax hikes have bitten deep in a country where living standards are less than half the EU average and tens of thousands of Bulgarians have rallied in protests that have turned violent, chanting "Mafia" and "Resign".

On Tuesday, 11 people were hospitalized - including one man bleeding heavily from the head - and 11 arrested after protesters threw flares at police, who fought demonstrators with shields and truncheons.
"I will not participate in a government under which police are beating people," Borisov, who began his career guarding the Black Sea state's communist dictator Todor Zhivkov, said as he announced his resignation on Wednesday.

Parliament is expected to accept the resignation later in the day.

The spark for the protests was high electricity bills, after the government raised prices by 13 percent last July. But it quickly spilled over into wider frustration with Borisov's domineering manner and unpredictable decision making.

more here: http://news.yahoo.com/bulgaria-government-resigns-national-protests-073220738.html?.b=index&.cf3=World+News&.cf4=1&.cf5=Reuters&.cf6=/
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com

BREAKING: Bulgarian government resigns
Page 1 of 1