Invisible War Rages in World's Oceans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

Invisible War Rages in World's Oceans Empty
PostSubject: Invisible War Rages in World's Oceans   Invisible War Rages in World's Oceans I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 am

The discovery of new viruses that appear to be spread around the world's oceans hints at a war waging between such viruses and their prey: an abundant group of bacteria.

The bacteria, collectively known as SAR11, are the most abundant organisms known to inhabit seawater.

"They are everywhere, from the surface down to the bottom, from pole to pole," said study researcher Stephen Giovannoni, a professor of microbiology at Oregon State University, adding that SAR11 microbes are most abundant in the warm waters of ocean gyres, or rotating currents, where they can account for as much as 40 percent of plankton cells.

more here: http://www.livescience.com/27098-ocean-viruses-battle-bacteria.html
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com

Invisible War Rages in World's Oceans
Page 1 of 1