Web Toolbar by Wibiya Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'

The Cuckoo's Nest

Conspiracy UFO Alternative News Paranormal Debate

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century' Empty
PostSubject: Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'   Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century' I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 am

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century' Comet-ison-deep-impact

Astronomers are already getting set for the arrival of Comet ISON, which may become one of the brightest comets ever seen when it cruises through the inner solar system this fall.

NASA has brought together a small team of experts to organize an observing campaign for Comet ISON, which could potentially shine as brightly as the moon when it makes its closest pass by the sun in late November if the most optimistic scenarios play out.

Coordinating the efforts of observatories on the ground and in space should help wring as much quality science as possible out of the comet's solar flyby, Comet ISON Observing Campaign (CIOC) officials said.

"It's a rare opportunity that we've got such a long heads-up time, so we actually have time to organize a campaign like this," said Karl Battams, a scientist at the U.S. Naval Research Lab in Washington and a member of the eight-person CIOC Team. "There's a lot of new science that we could get from this."

more here: http://www.space.com/20260-comet-ison-nasa-campaign.html
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com
Caliber

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'   Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century' I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 am

It is still some distance away. i'm all for a human killer asteroid doom scenario. But I am ready for a bit of comet spotting. Haley's was cool way back in the day I hope this one will be much better.
Back to top Go down

Astronomers Gearing Up for Possible 'Comet of the Century'
Page 1 of 1