Web Toolbar by Wibiya New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools

The Cuckoo's Nest

Conspiracy UFO Alternative News Paranormal Debate

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools

Go down 
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools Empty
PostSubject: New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools   New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 pm

MEDFORD (CBS) – Schools across Massachusetts are facing new guidelines regarding students and gender identity. “I had all of these problems and everyone kept telling me that they couldn’t help me,” said Logan Ferarro, now on staff at BAGLY, Inc., The Boston Alliance of Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Youth. Logan transitioned from female to male as a senior in High School in Wilmington.

“It ended up being harder than it was because they had no idea what to prepare for they had no idea what was coming,” said Logan. “They had no idea what even transgender was.”

Last summer, Logan and other supporters applauded a change in state law which added nondiscrimination in schools based on gender identity. That led to a recent memo from Commissioner of Education Mitchell Chester offering guidance on what the changes mean. In it, schools are required to accept the gender a student recognizes as their own including bathroom and locker room access.

“We wanted to come up with something that would best address their needs and their safety needs and affirming their identities,” said Grace Sterling Stowell, BAGLY, Inc.’s Executive Director and a transgender woman. She attended meetings on the changes last year. “It is important to make sure that the message here is that we are trying to do what’s best for transgendered students who themselves are the most unsafe and the ones who are most at risk,” she said.

Source
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com

New Transgender Student Guidelines Raise Questions At Mass. Schools
Page 1 of 1