The Cuckoo's Nest

Conspiracy UFO Alternative News Paranormal Debate

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

HOLOCAUST ITEMS PUT ON DISPLAY FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hulk

HOLOCAUST ITEMS PUT ON DISPLAY FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY Empty
PostSubject: HOLOCAUST ITEMS PUT ON DISPLAY FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY   HOLOCAUST ITEMS PUT ON DISPLAY FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

JERUSALEM (AP) -- When Stella Knobel's family fled World War II Poland in 1939, the only thing the 7-year-old girl could take with her was her teddy bear. For the next six years, the stuffed animal never left her side as the family wandered through the Soviet Union, to Iran and finally the Holy Land.

"He was like family. He was all I had. He knew all my secrets," the 80-year-old said with a smile. "I saved him all these years. But I worried what would happen to him when I died."

So when she heard about a project launched by Yad Vashem, Israel's national Holocaust memorial and museum, to collect artifacts from aging survivors, she reluctantly handed over her beloved bear Misiu, Polish for "teddy bear," so the memories of the era could be preserved.

"We've been through a lot together, so it was hard to let him go," said Knobel, who was widowed 12 years ago and has no children. "But here he has found a haven."

The German Nazis and their collaborators murdered 6 million Jews during World War II. In addition to rounding up Jews and shipping them to death camps, the Nazis also confiscated their possessions and stole their valuables, leaving little behind. Those who survived often had just a small item or two they managed to keep. Many have clung to the sentimental objects ever since.

On Sunday, Knobel's tattered teddy bear was on display at Yad Vashem, one of more than 71,000 items collected nationwide over the past two years. With a missing eye, his stuffing bursting out and a red ribbon around his neck, Misiu was seated behind a glass window as part of the memorial's "Gathering the Fragments" exhibit.

The opening came as other Holocaust-related events took place around the world.

In 2005, the United Nations designated Jan. 27 as International Holocaust Remembrance Day, marking 60 years to the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp.

Israel's main Holocaust memorial day is in the spring, marking the anniversary of the uprising of the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw, Poland, against the Nazis.

link
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_ISRAEL_HOLOCAUST_REMNANTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-27-14-39-34
Back to top Go down

HOLOCAUST ITEMS PUT ON DISPLAY FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY
Page 1 of 1