'Living Wire' Can Heal Itself When Cut

Go down 
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

'Living Wire' Can Heal Itself When Cut Empty
PostSubject: 'Living Wire' Can Heal Itself When Cut   'Living Wire' Can Heal Itself When Cut I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 am

In the classic sci-fi film "2001: A Space Odyssey," the evil computer Hal 9000 is finally defeated when a courageous scientist disconnects Hal's internal processing units. But if researchers from North Carolina State University in Raleigh succeed in bringing their self-healing wire to market, Hal could live again.

Their electricity-conducting live wire contains a core of liquid metal — a fluid alloy of gallium and indium — according to Gizmag.com. The liquid is housed within a polymer sheath that's also stretchable, giving the wire some additional functionality.

If the wire is cut, the liquid alloy oxidizes, forming a hard crust. "Think of it in the same way the blood clots to create a scab so we don't bleed to death when we're cut," Treehugger.com reports.

more here: Live Science
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com

'Living Wire' Can Heal Itself When Cut
Page 1 of 1