Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria

Go down 
AuthorMessage
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ
Admin
Admin
I⊥∀NIW∩LLIʞ

Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria Empty
PostSubject: Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria   Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 pm

Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria Thunderstorm

The storm clouds in Earth's atmosphere are filled with microbial life, according to a new study.

The research, published today (Jan. 23) in the journal PLoS One, revealed that hailstones drawn from storm clouds harbor several species of bacteria that tend to reside on plants, as well as thousands of organic compounds normally found in soil. Some of the bacterial species can seed the tiny ice crystals that lead to rain, suggesting they play a role in causing rain.

"Those storm clouds are quite violent phenomena," said study co-author Tina Santl Temkiv, an environmental chemist at Aarhus University in Denmark. "They are sucking huge amounts of air from under the clouds, and that's how the bacteria probably got into the cloud."

more here: Livescience
Back to top Go down
https://thecuckoosnest.forumotion.com

Storm Clouds Crawling With Bacteria
Page 1 of 1